If you have recently had surgery and the results are not what you were promised or you think you have been a victim of medicine malpractice, then you should seek legal advice about what to do next. Medical malpractice suits arise when medical treatment falls below a standard that is deemed to be acceptable. This can lead to health problems as well as a loss of earnings and you will need to get help from a professional law firm like Maurice Blackburn cosmetic surgery lawyers to help you to get compensation. This is important to do not only to ensure you get the compensation that you are rightfully entitled to but also to stop the doctor from doing the same thing to another patient.
It can cover everything from surgery for health problems through to cosmetic surgery, with the latter being the most common.
There are four main issues that can lead to negligence, namely:
- A lack of proper medical advice before the surgery that lead to uniformed consent being given
- If you were put forward for the surgery, despite not being an appropriate candidate
- If the surgery was performed without the necessary skill and care needed to do a good job
- When post surgery care was not sufficient, such as failing to detect infections
Medical malpractice claims are common for law firms to handle, but you will need to do some research to ensure the law firm you choose to use has lots of experience in this specific sector.
Some of the most common claims arise as a result of the following surgical procedures:
- Cardiac surgery
- Hypoxic brain damage
- Cardiac bypass surgery
- Orthopaedic surgery including back and hip surgery
- Injuries suffered as a result of cosmetic surgery
- Cosmetic surgery failing to provide what was promised
- Lap banding surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Problems as a result of anaesthetic use
- Complications after gall bladder, hernia, abdominal, eye or bowel surgery
- Post operative infections
Failing to warn a patient of the risks involved can also lead to a claim for compensation and the majority of cases brought against surgeons are when they have failed to explain the risks, how they performed the surgery, inadequate post-surgery care and cosmetic surgery that doesn’t provide the results the patient was lead to believe they would get.
Cosmetic Surgery Claims
If you have had cosmetic surgery and the results have been far from ideal, then you may be entitled to claim compensation.
Check out the following for an idea about the most common medical negligence claims that involve cosmetic surgery:
- Unexpected scarring
- Poor outcomes
- Injury to nerves
- Perforation of the bowel
- A failure to give proper consent
Procedures from rhinoplasty and liposuction to breast augmentation and chemical peels can lead to a wide range of malpractice suits and it is important to make a claim if you have incurred a loss of income, poor results or bad health as a result of your surgery.